500 gm NZ ōra king salmon, skinless, boneless & bloodline removed
Mt Zero lemon extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
fennel tops, for garnish
1 c salt
1 c sugar
50 ml gin
1 fennel bulb
1 lemon, zested
1 continental cucumber, peeled , seeds removed & diced into 5mm cubes
100 ml chardonnay vinegar
pinch of salt
Lemon crème fraiche
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1 lemon, juiced & zested
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix the diced cucumber with the vinegar and salt and then leave to marinate in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Blitz all of the cure ingredients in a food processor. It will be a little wetter than most dry cures so don’t be alarmed.
3. Put half of the cure on a plate lined with plastic wrap. Place the fish on the cure & then cover with the rest. Bring the sides up to cover and make a little parcel. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
4. Remove fish from fridge & wash off the cure. Pat dry with paper towels & then slice into 5mm this slices and arrange on a plate or platter.
5. Whisk the creme fraiche with the lemon juice and zest until thick and then season. Place into a disposable piping bag.
6. Drizzle the lemon oil over the fish and then arrange the cucumber evenly around the salmon. Pipe little dots of crème fraiche whimsically in and around the salmon and then scatter chive flowers over the whole dish.